Thanks for your interest in MOMS Club® of Bismarck! We receive many questions from prospective members and the greater community about our group, so we compiled and answered the most common ones here.
Who are you?
We are a group of approximately 30 at-home and part-time working moms in the Bismarck/Mandan/Lincoln area. Founded in July 2001, we’ve been operating for over 20 years!
Who are you affiliated with?
MOMS Club® of Bismarck is an official registered chapter of the International MOMS Club®, which has chapters around the world. We operate as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We are not a religious or political group and encourage moms of all beliefs, backgrounds, interests, and parenting styles to join us.
What do you do?
We are a support group specifically designed for at-home and part-time working moms. Most of our activities take place during the day, when our members need them the most. We offer a variety of activities each month to give moms and their children opportunities to socialize and get involved in the community.
What kind of activities do you offer?
We offer four types of activities:
- Weekly events
- Coffee & Chat (CNC) play dates are low-key and informal. We meet at a park, mall play area, or member’s home to play and talk.
- Fit MOMS involves members getting the blood pumping together, whether it’s a stroller walk, Pilates, or yoga.
- Monthly events
- Our Monthly Mingle takes place on the second Tuesday of the month. It’s our “business” meeting where we discuss the latest happenings in the club and plan the next month’s calendar.
- Lunch Bunch is hosted at a local church or a member’s home, and everyone brings a dish to share.
- Moms’ Craft and Kids’ Craft offer chances to get creative. (The latter usually has a story too.)
- We have a Book Club for our avid readers.
- MOMS Night Out/In is kids-free so moms can have some adults-only time together. Examples include drinks and appetizers at a restaurant, karaoke, bowling, hitting a few balls at the SuperSlide Park batting cages, or game/movie night at someone’s house.
- Special events
- These may include tours of the fire or police station, pumpkin patch, a local farm, the state archives at the Heritage Center, Halloween or Christmas parties, pool visits, a summer potluck, sledding, ice skating, or cross country skiing.
- Virtual events
- Covid-19 has been extremely disruptive and stressful for everyone. For the moms who aren’t comfortable yet meeting in-person, we’re happy to schedule events online, to help you stay connected.
Activities are mostly held on weekdays when at-home and part-time working moms need the most support, but we are flexible. If a mom is only available to attend events two mornings a week, then we can schedule activities to accommodate her. Occasionally we may schedule a special event on the weekend so that older school kids can join us too.
Can I bring my kids?
Of course! The primary purpose of our club is to provide fun ways for moms and kids to interact with each other. Kids are welcome at all our events except the once-a-month MOMS Night Out/In, which is meant to provide moms with an adults-only break.
Are there any upcoming events?
Yes, there is something going on every week. (See our public calendar.) We plan our events a month or two in advance. When the proposed calendar has been voted on and approved by our members at the Monthly Mingle, we make it available to everyone on our website and privately to our members.
How long are the events?
It varies based on the type of event, but typically they last an hour or so. Feel free to leave earlier if your child needs to get home for a nap or stay longer if they’re doing well.
Are events usually in the same place?
During the warmer months, we try to meet outside as much as possible at various parks around town. In the winter, we meet in a church basement, a mall, the Heritage Center, or each other’s homes.
How many people come to the activities?
It depends. A CNC at a park might only have two or three moms with their kids in attendance, whereas a special tour might have 10-15 moms and their kids participating.
My kids aren’t that little anymore. Can I still join?
Yes! We have a few members whose kids are teenagers. We have a discount rate for moms who would only like to participate during the summer when their kids are out of school. We can arrange events for moms to socialize with each other when school is in session. Our club is uniquely designed to meet the individual needs of each mom.
Do your members attend every event, or do they pick and choose?
We are all moms, so we aspire to be as flexible as possible to meet your individual needs. There are a few members who attend almost every event. There are many who attend once a week or a few times a month. With Covid-19, there are some who only feel comfortable meeting outdoors or online for the time being. And we understand that things come up at the last minute and you need to cancel: a diaper blowout, a toddler who refuses to put pants on, a sick preschooler, the doctor’s appointment you forgot about, the emergency trip to the grocery store, etc. It’s okay. Come as often as you feel comfortable. We’re here when you need us.
Is there a fee to join, and what is it used for?
Our members pay a $25 fee once a year either by check or through our PayPal account. We use the membership fees to pay for room rentals (like our winter meeting space), supplies (like brochures, signage, chapter registration, or our website), and programs (like food for the summer potluck). A financial report is included in each monthly newsletter. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we follow strict rules about how our members’ money is collected and spent.
How do you get involved in the community?
As a charitable non-profit organization, we organize at least one service project a year. We recently hosted a garage sale and donated the proceeds to a local children’s advocacy group. In the spring, we organize our annual “Egg My Yard” fundraiser at Easter and donated the proceeds to local family support groups. We’ve also offered club scholarship memberships to moms who need support that are identified through our community partners.
Can I try attending an event or two before I commit to joining?
Absolutely! We encourage you to stop by a few events to decide if we are the right fit for you. Just contact us so we know to watch for you.
You’ve sold me! How can I join?
Wonderful! We’re excited to have you! Please email us at email@example.com or direct message us through our public Facebook page to let us know. We will email you forms to complete, and then you will be added to our private Facebook group and email newsletter.